FAMU Student Creates Clothing Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

As an undergraduate student in college, most students are thinking about earning internships and passing courses.

Rick Moore, a junior from Tallahassee majoring in graphic design, has more than internships and passing grades on his mind. Along with his business partner Steve Byrum, Moore has an emerging clothing company called “Cloud City”.

Byrum from San Diego, California, describes Cloud City’s slogan as “only the flyest can enter”. Which is a concept of CC being a society, “a city of fly people”. But it’s more than just t-shirts. Cloud City offers crew neck sweaters, hats, vest and accessories for men across the U.S.

The idea of Cloud City came to light in late 2011 with the launch of their blog site and official clothing site. With only a few items up for sale, the site is in a “pre-selling” stage with payments and shipping made through PayPal.

“There was a line in a song that Moore made about flying to Cloud City. The lyric went from being on a track till in idea for a clothing line,” says Byrum. “When he mentioned the idea to me we started right away. Our blog has 31,401 views to this date and our website continues to attract new customers weekly.”

“When you purchase an item with our company, we truly take you in as a family member. Therefore “only the flyest” is a metaphor for our customers to feel proud and fashionable when they rock CC clothing” says Bynum.

Her Campus FAMU was able to sit down with Moore and discuss the makings of Cloud City.

HC FAMU: What is the most challenging part of owning your own business?
RM: The most challenging part is trying to have people interested all the time.

HC FAMU: How does school fit in with being a business owner?
RM: School fits well because when I’m on campus people stop me and say I have style. Once I tell them about the clothing line they’re even more impressed. Even when I rock one of the shirts they give me props.

HC FAMU: When you first made the brand, did you think it’d grow to what it is now?
RM: Yes, I knew it would have success but I didn’t think it would be this fast. We still have room for improvement.

HC FAMU: What is your favorite piece from the brand?
RM: My favorite piece from the brand has to be the smiley cloud. I drew it three years ago after I left Cracker Barrel. I saw this little girl sticking her tongue out once she saw her food was coming to her table.

HC FAMU: Where do you envision Cloud City Clothing to be in five years?
RM: I envision Cloud City Clothing to be in skate shops all around the U.S and possibly in shops overseas.

HC FAMU: How would you describe the line?
RM: I describe Cloud City Clothing as an empire ready to take over the world. The designs for our brand are eye popping, and bring not only a cartoon vibe but a classy vibe.

HC FAMU: Who helps design?
RM: Myself, Steve Byrum, and Breana Smith.

HC FAMU: Where is the clothing made?
RM: In Tallahassee and Miami.

HC FAMU: Where did you get the money to manufacture the line? 
RM: Lashawn Thomas is our business partner and investor. She took interest after seeing the designs on facebook.

For more information on new releases from Cloud City visit the website.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.