FAMU Professor to Take Students on Cultural Excursion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.- Dr. Yussif Mijira Dokurugu, assistant professor of sociology at Florida A&M University (FAMU) will take students, faculty and staff on a 10-day cultural immersion trip to Ghana, West Africa.

The trip will allow participants the opportunity to tour colonial castles, slave-holding cells and study the impact of globalization and urbanization in Ghana.

Dokurugu has started these trips in 2007 because of his Royal blood line. Dokurugu is from the Namguya Royal family in Nabari, Ghana. His grandfather is the king and his father the chief of Nabari.

The excursion is scheduled for March 7-16, 2014.

Dokurugu has particular interest in the yearly trips, wanting to change the perception of Africa. “Someone offered me an opportunity to explore another world. I want to do the same thing for others. That is why I do the trips,” said Dokurugu. The idea was sparked by words from a former president. “After 9/11 [George W.] Bush started pushing for people to learn about and understand other cultures. I thought I could definitely help, especially since I am part of the Royal family in Ghana,” said Dokurugu.

Professor Dokurugu came to FAMU as a study abroad student. When attending the University of Ghana, Legon, he met Portia Ellen, a FAMU student who was also studying sociology at his university. Portia suggested that Dokurugu apply to FAMU’s Master of Psychology program.

James Hill, IV a senior sociology student from Illinois participated in the trip the summer of 2013. “It was something I always wanted to do while at FAMU. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to gain international experience. My trip was definitely worth it,” said Hill.

Excitement builds as students sign up for the trip. Many students are particularly interested in Ghana’s Independence Day celebration. “I am really excited to learn about the culture of Ghana. We’ll be there for the Independence Day celebration and I know it will be a blast,” said Ky’Eisha Penn, a graduate master’s of applied social science in history student from Miami. “I am pretty sure the trip will be one to remember.”

The trip is $3,500, which covers round trip air-fare, hotel accommodations, three daily meals, in-country transportation and visa fees. FAMU students wanting to attend the trip know it is costly, but believe that the experience is invaluable, as such they are using sponsorship letters, and social media like wwww.gofundme.com as platforms to raise and ensure that the trip is not a missed opportunity.

Participants of the trip will tour slave holding cells, colonial castles, a safari, travel through Accra, Kumasi, and Cape Coast and acquaint themselves with the Royal families.

For more information about the trip contact Yussif Dokurugu at yussif.dokurugu@famu.edu or 850-599-3562.

Public relations scholar at Florida A&M