Alexandria Collins, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Name: Alexandria Collins
Classification: Junior
Major: Broadcast Journalism
Hometown: Tallahassee, Fl

HC FAMU: So you are the SGA Director of Communications, can you tell me more about the aspects of your job?
AC: As SGA Director of Communication my team and I publicize events for Student Government and the university. We bridge the gap between SGA and the student body; we keep the student body informed on politics, current issues that may affect them and things that expand their minds.

HC FAMU: What are some things that have been improved since you gain this position?
AC: The communication, we have done more events collaborating with the many organizations on campus. We started using social media more; video post, Twitter, Facebook and through traditional media. Also we use the SGA Correspondents, a branch off of the communications division.

HC FAMU: What do you like about being SGA Director of Communications?
AC: I like the creativity, being able to create ideas and events are fun! I enjoy the flexibility because the work can be done at home, as a senator the work was only done on campus. I like that I’m able to get the work done where ever.

HC FAMU: What else are you involved in on campus?
AC: Well I am the advisor for the SGA Correspondents, National Association of Black Journalist, Pi Sigma Theta National Honor Society and a mentor for the Big Sister, Little Sister.

HC FAMU: What provoked you to attend FAMU?
AC: Hmmm…interesting story at first wanted to attend The Julliard School before I realized tuition was too high. After that I didn’t look at any other schools but FSU and FAMU. FAMU offered me a scholarship so I took the opportunity and I am with FSU film and acted in a few of their films.

HC FAMU: What are some future goals you have for yourself?
AC: To continue to pursue acting, have a non-profit organize, community activist, motivational speaker & life motivator.

HC FAMU: What do you like to do for fun?
AC: I like going to art exhibitions, doing arts & crafts, writing poetry, singing, dancing, hanging with friends, bike riding or any thing that forces to think! A lot of times we get wrapped up in day-to-day work and never really have that ”me” time.

HC FAMU: Tell me an interesting fact about yourself?
AC: I can free hand draw just about anything!

HC FAMU: Do you have any hobbies?
AC: Writing fictional short stories.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.