2012-2013 Student Body President & Vice-President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Since they stepped foot onto FAMU’s campus they have implemented change: the creation of One-Stop-Shop, extended library hours and maintaining relationships with university board members. During Spring 2012 elections, Marissa West and Michael Jefferson stormed the campus with their monumental vision to let the students they serve have a meaningful experience while at FAMU. After a long battle to the top, they finally made it to SGA President and VP. Here’s a look into what they’re all about, politics aside.

MW = Marissa West, MJ = Michael Jefferson:

HC FAMU: How have things been since being elected?
MW: Hmmmm… very busy, yet very exciting. We’ve been working on various projects for the student body.
MJ: Things have been awesome! It has been one of the greatest honors and challenges to serve the student body. We’ve been coming up with ideas and doing our best to make them happen.

HC FAMU: What motivates you all to do your job daily?
MW: We have one of the best student bodies and they deserve the best!
MJ: Dedication to the students with a drive and desire to see the University become better for all of its current and future students.

HC FAMU: What are some accomplishments since your appointment?
MW: Through Sodexo we were able to get Tropical Smoothie on campus and extend on-campus restaurant hours until midnight. As an University Trustee I was apart of the appointment of the interim president. With the help of current Senate President, Bernard Jackson, Coleman library is now open 24 hours and I’m apart of the current president search committee.
MJ: We’ve partnered with the University to provide One-Stop-Shop, started planning for Homecoming 2012, held our first Administrative Retreat, provided excellent service on the BOT and Faculty Senate and committees, and planned several major initiatives slated to launch in the fall and much, much more!

HC FAMU: What do you want the student body to know about the West & Jefferson administration?
MW: We are approachable. We are regular students and we share similar concerns with the student body.
MJ: We’re students first and we’re learning right along side of you. We’re more than just our titles, we’re your fellow Rattlers and your friends.

HC FAMU: What do you all do in your free time?
MW: Study, play basketball, hang with friends, travel, and turn up (lol) – at the appropriate time.
MJ: I read, write, exercise, bake and cook, watch TV, hang out and spend time with friends.

HC FAMU: Name something unique or interesting about you.
MW: Most people think I’m serious but I have a hidden sense of humor. I can sometimes be a goofball.
MJ: I can bake the best Key Lime Cake you’ll ever taste!

HC FAMU: What’s your favorite food?
MW: Shrimp Alfredo.
MJ: Collard greens with neckbones, fried cornbread and fried catfish.

HC FAMU: What’s your favorite song that’s out right now?
MW: “Bands a make her dance.”
MJ: “Nothing Even Matters” by Lauryn Hill.

HC FAMU: How did you all decide to run together?
MW: Last summer we discussed the changes and ideas that we had to solve university issues. We considered running and by Christmas break our decision was official.
MJ: We were sitting at lunch at Panera Bread, shooting around ideas and…it kind of just hit us!

HC FAMU: Graduation is approaching, what are your future endeavors?
MW: Expand my network and find my niche in the world of pharmacy.
MJ: First of, to leave Florida! I plan to go to grad school and pursue a PhD. I’m working on studying for the GRE now. Some potential employment opportunities are on the horizon as well. 

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.