Nine Essential Movies to Get You into the Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

So, the Christmas countdown has officially begun, with the much awaited John Lewis annual Christmas advert being released, meaning it is now finally acceptable to relish in the X-mas spirit. One of the best ways in doing so is by watching the season’s classic movies, while snuggled up on the sofa with a delicious mug of hot chocolate while we wait for the snow to greet us (wishful thinking here in Cornwall). Here is a list of possible of our favourites.

Caution: This may make you want to purchase a Christmas tree/a batch of fake snow/reindeer, so please pace yourself, it is still November afterall.

The Snowman (1982)

Along with the classic Children’s book, the film adaptation has also become a world-renowned classic. The beautiful tale of a boy and his snowman with one famous soundtrack will make the whole family emotional, so head down to your closest DVD store and snuggle up to the perfect emotional outlet.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

If you already love Johnny Depp then prepare to love him even more (if that’s even possible). With its stunning aesthetics and another incredible soundtrack, the film is bound to make you melt with all the feels. Along with filling you with Christmas spirit, it also deals with deeper issues – tissues at the ready people.

Home Alone (1990)

If you haven’t seen this film before, then prepare to be amazed. Macaulay Culkin’s character will have you laughing extremely hard, from the offset.  This was my personal favourite Christmas film growing up; it is all about feeling like the odd one out, causing a little chaos, and being learning about independance – all before Christmas day. Get stuck in with Kevin this Christmas.

The Nightmare before Christmas (1993)

Tim Burton does it again with the animation ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’, not only does this movie offer some catchy tunes, but is perfect for the Christmas wait, as it combines Halloween and its successor. As a dual-holiday film, it is light-hearted and filled with important messages – and the added bonus of some characterful skeletons, monsters, mayhem and of course, ‘Sandy Clause’ – I mean, what more could you want? Follow Jack Skellington’s epic adventure as he explores the spirit of Christmas himself.

The Grinch (2000)

Not a fan of Christmas? If so, maybe The Grinch is more your kind of guy, but even he becomes strangely lovable. The enthusiastic characters changed his mind about the festive season, so there is hope for you as well! Cindy Lou Who and the rest of the Who gang will have you loving Christmas in no time! If you love Dr. Seuss as much as me, this film is definitely one to see. 

Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001)

Let’s be honest, we all embody Bridget at heart, and can relate to at least one part of her mad, but hugely entertaining life. We’ve all felt down on our luck, unlucky in love, worn a pair of granny pants or have had a complicated, love/hate relationship with a tub of cookie dough. Bridget is our spirit animal, the ultimate women to look up to for guidance through all troubles. This hilarious holiday movie is one for you and your group of girlfriends to put on repeat whilst stressed/sad/hungover/needing to sing ‘All by myself’ hysterically. We also highly recommend the books!

Love Actually (2003)

Another British Christmas classic, you truly know Christmas is quickly approaching when this appears on Channel 4. With a range of familiar faces appearing in different locations all over London with different story lines, this film is both highly entertaining but also gives a powerful message of love conquering anything, as well as giving you hope for the New Year. If you’re a fan of Hugh Grant, then pay special attention to his debut into the Dad-dancing world. You’re bound to fall in love with at least one of the plot lines, and there is a story for everyone to relate to.

Elf (2003)

Will Ferrell does it again. He has recently blessed us with Anchorman and Anchorman 2 but his portrayal of Buddy the Christmas- loving elf, will always be one of his shining moments. This comedy is probably the most Christmassy you can get and gives you a strange hankering for spaghetti… You will be laughing none stop and supporting the underdog all the way through.                                                             

Frozen (2013)

Last but definitely not least, this film has already made history in the Disney world, with its catchy soundtrack, endearing characters and great-animated visuals. Frozen is undoubtedly one of the most popular films of the decade. Not only is this film perfect for any time of the year, it is also fills the whole family with love and joy for the holidays. 

Hello, my name is Louise Manara Santos - Louie for short - and I am currently in 2nd year at Falmouth University, studying English. When I'm not playing around with glitter and face-paint or watching Netflix, I am meeting up with my friends, going to the beach and having a laugh. My goal in life is to travel to every country and learn about their cultures, and to spread as much positivity as I can along the way.I hope you enjoy reading HC Falmouth, and don't forget to spread the word.Peace :)  
My name is Laura Sherlock and I am the co-editor for Falmouth's chapter of Hercampus. I am currently in my third year of university studying English.