Elbow’s Eden Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

On Tuesday 15th July, I did the same as many other people will be doing during this British summer, I attended a concert. However, there was something different about this particular show, not only was it held in the Eden Project, but the whole atmosphere seemed altered. I have been to quite a few festivals now, which my bank balance can unfortunately adhere to, and that is the closest thing I can compare it too.  The interaction between crowd members and stage performers seemed connected and extremely euphoric, and everyone felt united – apart from a few grumbles, asking me/and anyone else that dare, sincerely not to stand in front of them or anywhere within the 3 meter vicinity! Have they never been to a concert before? This is when you discover what elbows are actually for. (Forgive the ‘Elbow’ pun; it was an accident, I promise!)

Manchester band Elbow played at Eden Sessions over two days, Monday 14th July and Tuesday 15th.  Previous bands to grace this summer’s stage, consist of Dizzee Rascal, Skrillex, Ellie Goulding, and the Pixies. I was lucky enough to obtain 2 tickets for the Tuesday night, so myself and a friend went along, not knowing what to expect, as I have never seen Elbow in concert in person or televised.

This well attended show followed the recent success of their sixth studio album, which became their first ever UK number one album.

Elbow have seen a lot of attention these last few years; their One Day Like This track was used during the Beijing Olympics in 2008, and the BBC commissioned Elbow to compose the theme for their coverage of London’s 2012 games. Then finally performing at the closing ceremony.

Guy Garvey fronts the band, and what a great job of it he does too. Not only is Guy a great and somewhat effortless singer (I imagine the drink and cigarette that he enjoyed on stage helped this), he manages to find the right balance of interaction with the crowd whilst focusing on his performance. Like an attentive host of one of the best parties I have ever attended, he consistently shouted to the audience, ‘How we all doing, still all okay out there?’ And isn’t that exactly how it should be, in this rare temporary relationship that is formed between fan/audience member and performer. For a very short time – 2 hours to be precise – you are there, under the premise to be entertained by the talented individuals on the raised platform in front of you. And that is exactly what did happen. The clever graphics and lighting for Elbow also had everyone captivated At one point we felt somewhat trance like, well myself and my friend did anyway, simply but effectively they span a disco ball in front of the stage, hypnotizing all audience members with the sparkles that dappled everything in its path.

Not only did lead singer Mr. Garvey express his care and fondness for the audience and support that they had given, ‘You have genuinely been a great audience, thank you for two beautiful days, adorned with two beautiful audiences’. He also showed great admiration for the atmosphere in which he was performing, ‘ Everyone who works for the Eden Project are kind, wonderful caring people, and work for an equally wonderful project’, and one last injection of illustrious love sounded out as this ‘I really do love it here, this ones dedicated to you, you lovely f******’.  So yes, whilst I must admit Elbow’s front man may have being saying the lovey slush, whilst drinking some sort of alcoholic beverage(s), it still seemed sincere.

Not only did the entirety of the musicians and artists that form Elbow appear to be on top form, so too were the Eden Project. Never before have I heard someone behind me in the audience say the words, ‘well they are most definitely organized.’ They were seemingly prepared for everything, the queue for the bar, was contained, the bag searches were quick, absolutely no queues for entry tickets and everything was sign-posted. The only thing that perhaps could have been improved was the speed of which people could exit, but this is an impossible request, and never have I experienced a speedy exit from a concert or gig.

So on reflection, I truly believe not only will I be attending another Elbow concert, but I will preferably attend any concert that takes place at the Eden Project, as everything ran so smoothly, and lets face it, it is a pretty spectacular back drop.

I do realize that this review has been exceedingly positive and pro Elbow and Eden, however it is the honest representation of my thoughts and beliefs from the experience.

P.S. So Eden, you may invite me back anytime, I will more than happily rsvp.

My name is Paris Anne Richardson and I am attending Falmouth University studying English with Creative Writing. I am an avid reader and subscriber to both Atlas and Vogue. My ideal day is hanging out with my girlfriends shopping and hopping from one coffee shop to another, and I am massive sucker for people watching. Hope you enjoy reading all the posts.