Your Vote, Your Voice: Why You Should Vote on November 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If I asked you to identify yourself right now, what words would you use? You might say you’re a daughter, a son, a sibling, an artist, an athlete or an intellect. But there is one characteristic that we should be especially proud of; we are American. As cliché as it may sound, patriotism is something that, I believe, we take for granted. People petitioned, fought and sacrificed their lives for our democracy and country, which is why we are indebted to participate in the election this upcoming November 4. 

For those who don’t know, the midterm election is coming up, which takes place two years after the presidential election. Federal offices that are up for appointment include members of the US Congress, those both in the House of Representatives and the Senate. Also, 34 out of 50 US states will be electing governors. Municipal level elections will also take place for mayors, public officers and citizen initiatives. There are many things up for debate that will directly impact you, with central focus on the climate, Obamacare, the income gap, net neutrality, the Keystone Pipeline and the incumbent’s party performance.

In the 2010 midterm election, the voter turnout for people between the ages of 18-29 was a mere 24%. Break the stereotype and show that you care about what is happening in the world around you.

Are you dissatisfied with politics today? You have a direct impact on what happens in the world around you. We can no longer depend on our elders to make decisions for us; our time to make change is right now.

It’s our obligation as Americans to control what happens in the future. As mentioned before, we are educated young people of society, fortunate enough to decide what goes on around us.

You might be under the false assumption that your ballot won’t change anything. Quite the contrary, your vote really makes a difference. Anyone remember the 2000 Election?

Personally, I hate being told what to do. I bet you can agree that you don’t want someone else deciding what will happen for you. If you vote, you’re one step closer to getting what you want.

When you cast your ballot, you earn the right to complain. No one wants to hear you whine about how much you hate foreign policy when you didn’t even make it to the voting booth.

You have a voice! Many people around the world are not as fortunate as we are and can’t have their opinion heard. Whether you vote democratic, republican or independent, your vote might just change the outcome of what happens in the world.

So, the power is in your hands. Go to your closest voting booth this November 4th and be heard!

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!