Words People (Thankfully) Do Not Use Anymore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

A collegiette’s vocabulary goes just as quickly out of date as our middle school awkward phases. Why did we ever wear those Abercrombie flares? Why did we ever walking around high school using, “yolo” just as often as “the”?  We are still searching for answers. Read below for more terms that we are ~praising~ have gone out of style.

“Yolo”

It was kind of funny maybe the first ten times we used it, but we all know you only live once. There’s no need to remind us.

“Twerk”

No comment.

“Shawty”

Here’s a major throwback to Bieber circa 2008, long before his “What Do You Mean?” days.

“Kewl”

Think way, way back to your AIM days. Why was “cool” ever spelled this way?!

“Fail”

This word “fail” itself was a fail, for lack of a better term.

“Epic”

This term should only be used (on the rare occasion) that you’re discussing Ancient Greek epic poems.

“Clutch” 

How does “clutch” mean cool? How can you make any sense to describe anything to? It doesn’t, and that’s why no one uses it anymore.

“Ratchet”

Who even came up with this term anyway?!?

“Dis” 

It’s not that hard to say ‘this’.

“Bae”

Okay, so this term may still be in use, but it needs to join the rest of these and vanish from every collegiette’s vocab. 

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.