Why You Need to Come to Relay For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Relay for Life is a great event that helps The American Cancer Society raise money towards the fight against cancer. This year Relay for Life at Fairfield University will take place on April 15 in Alumni Hall and will start at 6 at night and end at 6 the next morning. It is an amazing opportunity to get involved on campus while also hanging out with friends and raising both money and awareness for an amazing cause! Here are the some reasons why you NEED to come to relay for life.

You have the opportunity to support an amazing cause

Unfortunately, many of us have someone in our lives that has been affected by cancer whether it be a family member or a friend. It’s time we show our support for both cancer survivors and caretakers.

It’s an all night movement  

Are you and your friends looking for something to do on Friday Night? Come to Relay for Life! There will be free food, a comedian and great music. Who could ask for anything more from a Friday night? If you feel like you can’t commit to the entire night don’t worry, stay for as long as you can the more participation we have, the better.

There will be great raffles

Are you obsessed with 16 Handles? Chefs Table? Well you’re in luck because gift cards from these restaurants are just some of the items that will be raffled off at the event. 

The Luminaria Ceremony

The Luminaria ceremony is the perfect opportunity to pause and reflect on how much cancer has affected you or your loved ones. It is a truly emotional time that will make you feel closer to others that also attended the event.

Celebrate life

Whether cancer has affected you or not, this is the perfect opportunity to celebrate life and the fact that you are healthy. It is also the time to honor those incredible people who have overcome cancer and remember those who we have lost to it. As much as this event is supposed to be fun, the subject matter is not taken lightly.    

Did we mention that theme of the night is decades? Who wouldn’t want to channel their inner 70’s style go- go girl for the night. Bottom line, cancer sucks and we have the ability to fight for a cure! Please help us by donating in any way you can by clicking here and if you’re free that night please don’t hesitate to join our team! 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.