Why I Think Voting Is Important As A College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Think that taking the time to go out and cast your vote won’t make a difference? Think again. As college students, it is imperative that we go vote and display our political efficacy.

We are the future of America. Hence why we are getting a college education. Don’t you want to be a part of deciding what types of policies will be in effect over the course of your college career and post-graduation? After graduation when you start to think about settling down and worrying about adult things like taxes, bills, and a family, don’t you want to know that you had a say in how the government is regulating and overseeing such significant aspects of your life?

No one votes with the needs of college students in mind. We, first hand, know what it’s like to be faced head on with the weight of student loans, including high interest rates and admission policies, such as affirmative action, that directly affect us. Other voters are more concerned with the issues at their hands including social security and healthcare. We are currently specialized in this field and can vote with first-hand experience to improve the conditions for future prospective college students. After all they need us to  on behalf of them, as they are not old enough to vote yet in high school.

College is about expanding your horizons. This may be the first election that you have a chance to be a part in determining – an interesting one to start with, to say the least! As a college student, you are joining new clubs, encountering different types of people, growing your knowledge of the world, and truly discovering who you are as a person. What a tragedy it would be if you took advantage of all of these great opportunities to expand your horizons and chose not to put them all together to participate in something that will have so much meaning to how you grow and go about your future?

Take advantage of the rights that you are given. If you go back in time, only wealthy, educated white men were allowed to vote. Why wouldn’t we want to go out and utilize the rights that we have been granted that women and African Americans many years ago had been wishing and fighting for every single day of their lives? This matter cannot be taken lightly.

If you don’t vote, you don’t have the right to complain for the next four years!

I am from Long Island, New York. I currently attend Fairfield University and I am pursuing a major in Finance and minors in Mathematics and Economics. 
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.