Why I Don’t Participate In Hookup Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Starting college opens up the doors to new experiences. The culture in college is definitely different from the one that we all experienced in high school. Having grown up and living more independently, you are now able to make your own decisions. You are in control of the places you go, the people you hang out with, and the things you do. One aspect of college that is dramatically different than high school is the hookup culture. While many other collegiettes may have chosen to partake in the hookup culture, I have not.

There isn’t anything wrong with the ladies who decide that they want to be part of the hookup culture, but I personally have chosen to abstain from it.

In high school, I was even more quiet and reserved than I am here. On Friday nights, you probably would have found me at home either reading or watching Netflix. I never went to a party in high school, and didn’t even date. But as I am finding myself here at Fairfield University, I have realized that I am becoming open to new experiences and people, that I wouldn’t have been if I were at home.

However, I have found that the hookup culture is something that I do not necessarily want to participate in. I do not participate much in the party scene, which is naturally where the hooking up tends to take place. I am not opposed to parties, in fact, I would like to attend at least one before the end of the semester.

But as someone who is more on the introverted side, it takes me longer to feel comfortable opening up to people than it may for others. For me to be with a person in romantically, I would not be comfortable with a casual encounter in a townhouse. I would have to feel safe and secure with a person because being in a long term relationship is an absolute must for me. I am more of an emotional person who definitely has a tendency of getting attached, so I want a connection to last more than one night at a party.

In some regards, I am an old sap that ~lives for~ those romantic comedies (who doesn’t love The Notebook, am I right?) and is obsessed with fairy tale endings, even though I am very much aware that those are unrealistic. But there’s nothing wrong with being a hopeless romantic, because aren’t we all in our own ways?

College is the best time to explore who you are as a person. You have the power to make your own decisions and choose your actions. Whether you choose to participate in the hookup culture or not, be confident in your choice and always stay safe.

Meghan Cusack

Fairfield '21

Meghan is currently a student here at Fairfield University. She's from Branford, CT and is an English major with a concentration in Professional Writing. She also has two minors in Spanish and Public Relations. Meghan also enjoys reading, drawing, eating lots of chocolate, and spending time with her cat Charming. 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com