Why This Dove Legacy Video Should Change The Way You Talk About Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As young female adults, we’re living in a society where our body image expectations are skewed. How many times in a week do you tell your friend that you can’t stand your stomach? Or, that you wish your legs were a little smaller? Most of us have this conversation at least one or twice a week, if not a day. The problem is, we’re stressed about what we don’t have instead of appreciating what we do have.

The Dove: Legacy commercial is apart of the Dove Self-Esteem Project, and it perfectly depicts our negativity towards our bodies. Mothers and daughters were both asked about what they believed was wrong with their bodies that they did not love, and the results were astonishing.

The moments between these mothers and their daughters are both precious and heartbreaking. This video proves that our perceptions of ourselves are powerful. Don’t diminish the qualities about yourself based on others. You are beautiful, your body is beautiful and understanding that makes you strong and powerful. 

I’m challenging you to influence your fellow collegiette’s with positivity, the way these mothers influenced their daughters. And of course, appreciate yourself. Focus on the person that makes you the unique individual you are. These aspects will radiate far beyond the confines of your physical body image; they will inspire others to be the confident collegiettes’ that they are.

Camille Giacovas is a sophomore at Fairfield University with an International Studies major and an English minor with a concentration in Professional Writing.  She dreams of traveling the world and she strongly believes in the power of living a positive life. She is a lover of hot yoga, running and finding the little things in life that bring her joy. Her mornings would not be complete without a chai tea latte. 
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!