What It’s Really Like To Go To School Out of State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When you attend school out of state, you are introduced to a whole new array of people… and their lifestyles as well. While many of these differ from your own, you learn to love your new state as much as your home state. These are the differences you will probably encounter when choosing an out of state school.

1. You feel like an outsider, and hope that the natives take you under their wing.

2. You are totally unaware of that state’s lingo at first, and don’t really get what certain words mean. Jimmies? Sprinkles? What?

3. You are either really impressed or really scared with how people drive. It either is way better than home, or way worse.

4. You are probably confused why people are still wearing flip-flops in October…or why people have already broken out the winter coats.

5. You always miss the foods your home state is known for. Can’t we just put NY bagels and pizza in every single town of every single state? The nation would be better off.

6. You instantly miss knowing where everything is, and your GPS is literally your BFF.

7. You wonder why some states have certain restaurants that others do not. Why isn’t there Chick-fil-a and Qdoba everywhere?

8. You are disgusted when people tell you about their favorite food combinations. Syrup on eggs? Since when is that a thing?

9. You envy your friends who can get home in less than an hour, because they live in state. 

10. E-ZPass is your golden ticket, and you couldn’t exist without it. 

Hey ladies! I'm Alyssa Vicari, a loyal Long Islander from Fairfield's class of 2018. I am a sophomore finance major and marketing minor who loves everything about the fall and everything about coffee. When I'm not studying or writing for HC, you can probably find me at the beach, the mall, watching Netflix, or doing any other thing that #basic college girls enjoy. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @alyssavicari !
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.