Career

“What to Ask Your Interviewer”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Collegiettes – the interview and job hunt process are two of the most stressful things we have to go through. A lot of the time, we just assume the interviewer will be the one asking the questions, and for the most part, that’s true! However, it is important to come prepared with a few questions to ask the interviewer to get a better idea of what your expectations are! Here are 6 to consider: 

1.What is a day in the life of an employee with this position? 

It is so important to know what you’ll be getting yourself into at a company! Be sure to ask what the typical day looks like, or even a typical week. 

2.What are the opportunities for growth at this company?

No one wants to join a company that never allows for growth and advancement. You want to be rewarded and promoted for your hard work- become aware of routes to career growth and inquire about what it takes to get there. 

3.What’s your favorite part about working for this company?

They may not be willing to open up much, but it is important to get a sense of how they feel working here. The enthusiasm of others can help to excite and motivate you, but their negativity could steer you away from it – either way, this information is very good to know!

4.Where do you see this company in the next 5 years?

A broader question, but it gives you the opportunity to get a sense of what kinds of projects and goals you’ll be a part of to get to this point. This question might also help you get a grasp on the stability of the company so you have an idea if this position will be long or short-term. 

5.What qualities do you look for in candidates for this position, what are your expectations of them?

Some of this you should know already from research on the company website, as well as the write-up in the job listing. However, it is good to ask more specifically so you can compare what they say to yourself as a person and decide if you think it’s a good fit for you.

6.What are the next steps of the interview process? 

I would save this one until the end to feel out how they thought this interview went. You don’t want to sound too confident, but you do want to sound fully invested and eager to take the next steps. 

There are so many great questions for you to ask during an interview, those are just a few to get you started! Try not to ask things related to salary/commission, competition, or flexibility too early on. It’ll give the interviewer the wrong impression that you’re in it for the wrong reasons, or not fully committed to the job itself. Best of luck! 

Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.