This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fall is a time for many things, and it famously features falling leaves, sweater weather, pumpkin carving ad  of course every college students favorite holiday… Halloween. As a notorious Swifie, this Fall I have found myself becoming obsessed with her world famous chai sugar cookies. As I scroll through my Tik-Tok page it seems as though everyone and their mother is embracing this recipe and joining the bandwagon. Joy the baker has the elaborate recipe and preparations I have copied below. As we come into the Fall season with flannels, plaid skirts, pumpkin flavored lattes and scented candles, think about adding Taylor’s famous cookies to your season’s repertoire. Let’s “tis the damn season” by skipping the “weeping in a party bathroom” and request Alexa to que All Too Well (Sad Girl Autumn Version) – Recorded at Long Pond Studios as you prepare these delectable cookies! 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter in a large bowl on medium speed for about 1 minute.  Add the vegetable oil.  It may not fully incorporate the butter, but that’s ok.  Add the granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and all of the spices. Beat to combine.

3. Add the egg and vanilla, beating on medium speed until completely incorporated.

4. Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt all at once using a wooden spoon or the mixer set on low.

5. The dough will be soft. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour or freeze for 15 minutes just so it’s easier to handle.

6. For large cookies, dollop 2 Tablespoons of cookie dough onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.  For smaller cookies use 1 Tablespoon for each cookie.  Press the dough evenly with your fingers or palm to 1/4-inch thickness. 

7. Roll each cookie dough in a small bowl of cinnamon sugar.

8. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes for larger cookies or 8 to 10 minutes for smaller cookies.  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely.

9. In a medium bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients to thick but spreadable. Spread each cooled cookie with graze just over the center, leaving the edges of the cookie free of glaze. 

10. Sprinkle with a bit of fresh nutmeg if you have it. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. 

Lindsey Hanrahan

Fairfield '23

Hi! I am Lindsey Hanrahan, a senior at Fairfield University. I am majoring in Digital Journalism. I love to write and read!