Viva España! Maura’s Barca Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

This past weekend, I took the AVE, Spain’s high-speed railway, about 650 km (400 miles) east to the beautiful city of Barcelona.  Of course I had to hit the main tourist attractions, but Barcelona has many hidden treasures as well.

Inspired by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí, La Sagrada Familia is a Roman Catholic Church whose initial construction began in 1882.  The Church is not expected to be completely finished until 2026.

The interior of the Church is just as breathtaking as the exterior. The stained glass windows vary in color, illuminating a different color light in each section of the Church.

Parc Güell, also a creation by Gaudí, is a public area located on Carmelo Hill, with breathtaking architectural designs and amazing views of the city.

Located on the coast, Barcelona offers some stunning beaches. Because it is November, there weren’t as many crowds as would appear in the summer months; however, the beach was far from empty.

Finally, one of my favorite parts of the trip was the Gothic Quarter, an area in Barcelona whose buildings date to medieval times.

Remains of the Roman Squared Wall from the Roman settlement of Barcelona still exist.

The Cathedral at the Pla de la Seu, began construction as far back as the 11th century.

Although I had an amazing time in Barca, my trip was way too short and I will definitely have to return at some point in my life. I highly recommend stopping by this beautiful city if you ever find yourselves in Spain. Adéu!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.