TV Show of the Week: Peaky Blinders

This week’s TV Show of the Week is a BBC Original called Peaky Blinders. The show premiered in September of 2013, but has started gaining momentum and popularity by the end of the 2014.

What it’s about: The show takes place in post World War I Birmingham, which is a tough industrial city in England. The show follows one family, The Shelby’s, whose members comprise a notorious gang that goes go by the name The Peaky Blinders. Basically the show follows their attempts to gain financial and social power within the city by way of becoming legal bookkeepers. That said, the ways in which they go about this rise to power are very rarely legal and for that, incredibly entertaining.

This show might remind you of: Boardwalk Empire, The Dark Knight

Why you should get into it:

• It’s a really well done period piece: the clothes, the haircuts and the props are all on point.
  • The show is based off of a real story. Google it.
  • The seasons are totally manageable. There are only 6, hour-length episodes per season, and there are only 2 seasons (the third comes out this fall).
  • The soundtrack is amazing. The show features modern music even though it takes place in a different time period. (Picture this: a gang of attractive British guys who have just finished fighting in an epic street fight are rounding the corner in slow motion as “Do I Wanna Know?” by the Arctic Monkeys is blasting in the background.)
  • Girls and guys alike will love it. There’s something for everybody.

Where you can watch it: Netflix

If I lived in a perfect world, I would sit around all day in sweatpants, eating goodies from my local farmer’s market and writing (hopefully) witty and interesting essays about the minutiae of everyday life. My life philosophy, which particularly applies to food and music, is “Don’t bash it ‘til you try it.” I think everyone should invest in a sense of humor. I’m still trying to figure out what it is that I want to do, but in the meantime I’m going to attend college as an English major, abuse my Netflix account, take too many pictures, embrace any meal that involves avocado, avoid math like it's a deadly disease and let the good times roll. Follow me on Twitter, @MKateItorLoveIt!