Throwback Thursday: 10 Romantic Movie Scenes We Could Never Forget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Love is timeless. No matter how many romantic movies are made about love, there is something irresistible about watching a good movie about two people falling in love that keeps people coming back for more.  In honor of Throwback Thursday, here is a look back at 10 of the most heart-stopping, swoon-worthy, jealousy-inducing, romantic movie scenes every collegiette will always love.

10. Say Anything

The song, the boom box, the boy: the perfect romantic movie scene with no actual eye contact, physical contact, or speech… yet there is still that small part of you yelling,  “Look out the window for crying out loud!”

9.  Love Actually

A jazzy choir and musical ensemble combined with the element of surprise and the beautiful Keira Knightly make it impossible not to smile at your TV screen while watching this scene! It also most likely left you dreaming about your future wedding, despite the absence of a groom.

8. He’s Just Not That Into You

After being told time and time again throughout the movie that each guy Ginnifer Goodwin meets or dates is just not that into her (unbelievable, I know), Justin Long shows up at the perfect moment and climactically kisses Ginnifer Goodwin and announces that she is his exception! Ergo hope in humanity, specifically in the male population, is restored.

7. 13 Going on 30

The non-animated, 21st century happily ever after love story that made every tween and teenage girl reevaluate her relationship with her best guy friend while crying tears of joy because Jennifer Gardner and Mark Ruffalo are just too perfect together.

6. Princess Diaries

The scene that created the foot-popping craze every little girl dreamed about! Anne Hathaway becomes the Princess of Genovea, gets the guy, and her ‘foot pop’ while being kissed maneuver just happens to flick the light switch illuminating the beautiful garden, making us all believe that “miracles happen once in a while”.  

5.  10 Things I Hate About You

Heath Ledger singing anything with that adorable smile is enough to make you go weak in the knees, never mind when he sings “You’re Just to Good to be True” accompanied by the marching band, while being chased by security to win over Julia Stiles. Precious.

4. Breakfast At Tiffany’s

Cat or no cat squished in between Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard while they make out in the rain, this scene is a classic and has been adored by generations of people because it so romantic. With a little black dress, a good-looking guy, and an unnamed house pet, what else could a girl ask for?

3. Friends With Benefits

Perhaps this scene depicts the greatest romantic gesture ever filmed? You can never go wrong with a flash mob and a declaration of love, especially set to the fabulous song “Closing Time” by Third Eye Blind… I mean Semisonic.

2. Titanic

Who wouldn’t trust Leonardo DiCaprio to hold you off the edge of a huge boat? Despite the cheese factor, Leo and Kate’s Titanic romance is unsinkable in this scene and leaves us feeling overwhelmingly giddy and awed. 

1. The Notebook

In the ultimate climactic scene, of the definitive romantic movie, the gorgeous Ryan Gosling and the adorable Rachel McAdams finally get back together after years of separation and 365 letters because “it still isn’t over” and they kiss in the rain and are never separated again… sigh. 

Megan is a Fairfield University senior majoring in English and journalism from Long Island, New York. She is the Fashion Director and a devoted writer for Her Campus Fairfield as well as a part-time Editorial Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com in New York City. Some of Megan's favorite things are the beach, Spotify playlists, Harry Potter and Instagram. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram! 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.