There Is Science Behind Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The weather is getting colder, the desire to cuddle is greater and the random DMs from the guy’s in your math class are at an all time high. Cuffing season is among us, and yes there is a science behind it!

Cuffing season occurs during the fall and winter months, October to February, and it is the time when those who love being single get the sudden urge to what to have a significant other, to cuddle and go on cute dates with. 

According to Medical Daily, “cuffing season” has become a “millennial phenomenon.” There is truth behind rapper Fabulous’ song “Cuffing Season.” The lyrics say, “summer girls turning into winter wifeys.” You can’t be a summer girl forever honestly.

If you think about your own relationship, or ones your friends are in, there is a very rare chance they became an item in the summer months. 

So yes, it is a millennial phenomenon because we all know our parents and grandparents were not prioritizing their relationship status so they could be single for the summer; but the science behind it is this:

Cuffing season is based upon evolutionary instinct. When we think of the Fall/Winter holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years; family and friends come to mind. No one wants to be lonely during that time of the year. 

So to avoid these feelings or loneliness we are programed to set out and look for a mate. No one wants to be lonely. 

Who knew science could be so simple!

There you have it, science finally explained. Go out and find your mate ladies! 

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com