Style

Springing into Spring! 5 staple pieces you need in your closet for spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The birds are chirping and the weather is getting warmer. Most importantly, it is time to switch up that closet of yours! Here is our guide to making sure that your closet has all the spring essentials you’ll need: 

1. Sundress 

Since spring is a time of graduations, outdoor events, weddings, and wine-tastings, having a sundress to wear on these occasions is a great way to stay in style with spring. Sundresses can be either floral prints or neutral and are a staple piece that would make your spring style pop! 

1. Leggings

Whether it be running errands, a good gym sesh, or going to class, leggings are a lifesaver during this time of year. Spring is an interesting time of year; on some days, the weather will be warmer while on others, it will be a tad colder. By having leggings in your closet, you will always be ready to stay comfortable during the changing weather and your spring activities. 

1. Zip-up Sweatshirt 

Spring is here and that means it’s time for that confusing weather! A zip-up sweatshirt is a perfect item to wear when participating in outdoor activities, on the go, or just lounging around. The spring weather often feels unpredictable. One minute you’re hot, one minute you’re cold! Wherever you are, using a zip-up is a super convenient clothing option to stay comfortable in the spring climate. 

1. Blouse 

Going out on the town, to brunch, or on a date? A blouse is a perfect piece to have in your closet this spring. Blouses are not too heavy and not too light! These beautiful tops come in many different styles and colors. You can wear a more simple piece or a fancy one for that fun occasion. 

1. Sneakers 

Shoes are quite possibly the most important item you can have in your closet this spring! With the weather being warmer, we are constantly on the go. When on the go, it is very important to make sure you are walking in shoes that align your back and the rest of your body in order to stay comfortable. Sneakers are the ultimate saving grace for your entire body during go-go-go times. If you’re planning on being more out and about this spring, make sure you have a few pairs of sneakers that you can rotate between! 

I hope you find these staple pieces useful for your spring activities and stock up on some spring essentials! 

XO Bri 

Brianna McAleer

Fairfield '25

Brianna McAleer is an editor and writer for Her Campus’s Fairfield University chapter. Particularly, Brianna is the editor for the News and Current Events page of the magazine. She also enjoys writing and researching for the wellness and style pages of the magazine. In addition to being an editor and writer for Her Campus’s Fairfield University chapter, Brianna works as a legal intern at Duffy&Duffy, PLLC law firm, where she composes medical record request letters, visits court, and converses with medical facilities/clients. Brianna is also the Editor-in-chief of her own magazine The EastCoaster, where she manages a team of writers, composes articles about seasonal topics covering wellness, nature, and activities, and oversees the magazine’s social media platforms. She is currently a junior at Fairfield University studying Pre-Law, majoring in History, and minoring in Politics and English. In her free time, Brianna enjoys reading, spending time with family and friends, going to the gym, being outdoors, and watching history documentaries. Put Brianna on a beach with a history book and she will be in her element!