Saira Blair Proves There’s No Age Limit on When You Can Make a Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

There’s no age limit on when you can make a difference, which Saira Blair proves. In the 2014 Midterm Elections held at the beginning of this month, Blair was elected to the West Virginia House ofDelegates. Blair is only a freshman at West Virginia University, where she is currently a double major in Economics and Spanish. Yes, this 18 year old has won the 59th seat in the House of Delegates with 63% of her state’s vote.

According to blairforwv.com, Blair’s campaigning website, she states her position on issues that are important to her, and what she hopes to get done as an elected official. In the “About Saira” section, Blair states that she is “pro-life, pro-family, pro-2nd amendment, pro-business, pro-jobs, (and) pro-West Virginia.”

Blair’s stance is “to demonstrate to younger people that we shouldn’t wait until we’re 40, 50, or 60 to understand that conservative values and principles are the way to prosperity and success.” She continues by saying “lower taxes, limited government and a fair, predictable court will encourage economic growth which equates to more good paying jobs.”

Blair seems to have been born with an interest in politics. She is the daughter of Craig Blair, a senator for West Virginia.  She has also built up a strong resume. In May of 2014 at the age of 17, Blair defeated her republican opponent Larry Kump with a majority of 54.5% to 45.5%.  Blair became the nominee for the Republican Party before she was even allowed to cast a vote herself. Later in November of 2014, during the general election, she beat Democratic Party nominee Layne Diehl 63% to 30%.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Blair has become the youngest lawmaker that the United States has ever had.  She will take her new position starting January of 2015, while she puts her college career on hold. All the power to you, fellow collegiette! 

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!