Romantic Ideas for Valentine’s Day Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching many of you may be rushing to come up with date ideas for your special someone. The cliché evening of expensive dates and reservations at the best restaurants in town may seem like the easiest option, but they can also break the bank quickly and come off as thoughtless. Rather than spend all your savings, there are plenty of ways to show your special someone you truly care about them while staying on a budget.

1.  Movie Night Rather than go out for dinner and a movie, borrow your roommate’s Netflix account and watch your favorite movie or movies. Whatever you choose, it’s just about snuggling up close to your special someone.

2. Cook Dinner Together Take a tip from Lady and the Tramp and whip up some classic spaghetti and meatballs with your favorite guy. The delicious smell and intimate setting is sure to get the romantic juices flowing. 

3. Order In If you want to opt for cleaner option, why not order some of your favorite food? Whether it’s a heart shaped pizza from Planet Pizza or sushi from Wild Rice the possibilities are endless

4. Sledding Add some fun to your Valentine’s Day plans and grab a sled or your aerodynamic object of choice and race each other down the hill outside of the library. Make it a game – whoever reaches the bottom first gets a special wish granted.

5. Ice Skating There is nothing better than quality time with your Valentine and one of the best ways to do this is through a fun activity!  For just $10 you can skate for as long as you want at the Westport outdoor ice rink at Longshore. Test your skating skills, fall down laughing or just hold onto each other for support.

6. Star Gazing on Bellarmine Lawn Grab some blankets, a substantial amount of hot chocolate and bundle up together under the stars. The chill of winter will force you two together and the beauty of the winter sky is sure to add to the romantic vibe.

7. Game Night – If the outdoors are not high on your list of Valentine’s Day to-dos, challenge your special someone to a night of your favorite games. Even if you guy thinks he’s a board game master, whether its Scrabble, Monopoly, even Candyland, prove him wrong! The fun competition is sure to brighten your night.

Valentine’s Day can quickly turn into a day of extravagance. It’s important to remember that you do not need fancy things or fancy dinners; this day is about you and your relationship with that special someone. Take advantage of this Valentine’s Day and use it as a way to spice up your relationship old or new!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.