Presidential Candidate Spotlight: Donald Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Donald Trump: the man, the myth, the legend, and the top GOP presidential candidate. Best known for his over-the-top personality, the celebrity and author has consistently been part of the top three in polls.  His “Make America Great Again” slogan has been stitched on to hats and t-shirts, some of which he chooses to wear for his campaign speeches. Here is where Trump stands on some of the important issues candidates are focusing on: the economy, education, immigration, the environment, and foreign policy.

The Economy
In terms of the economy, Trump has four goals: give tax relief to the middle class, simplify tax goals, grow the American economy, and avoid increasing the national debt. His campaign site even provides a plan to achieve these goals. All are good ideas, but as with most things in politics, they are easier said than done. He believes his experience as a businessman and entrepreneur has given him the skills he’ll need to make the right decisions for the economy.

Education
Education is always a relevant topic among politicians, and in the 2016 Presidential race, one aspect candidates are concerned with is the necessity of the Common Core, and in Trump’s case, he is highly opposed to it, calling it a “disaster”. He wants to toughen up educators so they don’t feel bad when telling a student their answer is wrong. He thinks we ought to place less focus on the student’s self-esteem and instead zoom in on correcting the answers they get wrong, in an honest fashion.

Immigration
Of all Trumps’ positions, his most controversial may be on immigration. Take, for example, the statement made at a Maryland Republican Party event when he said he wanted to build a “wall” along the U.S.-Mexico border. “A nation without borders is not a nation…a nation without laws is not a nation…a nation that does not serve its own citizens is not a nation,” states his campaign website. He also wants to e-verify (verify that people entering the workforce are allowed to work legally in the U.S.) everyone, in order to “protect jobs for unemployed Americans”. Other measures he wishes to take include defunding sanctuary cities, and ending birthright citizenship.

Environment
Like many Republicans, Trump believes climate change to be a hoax. He tweeted, “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”

Foreign Policy
As for foreign policy, his vision seems simple, and it can be argued that it’s incomplete. He says our nation shouldn’t get involved with fixing other countries problems without the support of our allies. In other words, we should use our time and resources if we don’t have support. Regarding China, he sees it only as an “economic competitor”. He is opposed to the war in Iraq. Essentially, he doesn’t want the U.S. to become involved in anything it can’t win.

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant