OMG: USHER TO HEADLINE THIS YEARS’ SUPER BOWL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I’ll be the first one to say it: I’m not a big football fan. I always feel out of the loop when it comes to the Super Bowl. I don’t think I found out who was playing last year until the day of. However, I always enjoy the Halftime show. I’ll tune in just before the show begins to watch as little football as possible. Apart from the Halftime show, I love the traditions that come with the event, namely the food and the commercials. Here at Fairfield, I watch the game and the show with my friends, which has given me a new appreciation for the event as a whole. We order food and critique the funny commercials. My attitude towards the Super Bowl is definitely more positive now than it was four years ago. 

There was a lot of speculation about who would be performing this year, and I don’t know if anyone predicted Usher. When I found out Usher was playing, I kind of laughed to myself. He was big when I was a kid. Memories came flooding back of my best friend, who was OBSESSED with him, gushing about him in the back of her mom’s minivan. Based on my reaction, I think it will be a fun show for the nostalgia factor. Certain songs from the 2000s and the 2010s bring me back to memories like warming up for ballet class or the elementary school Valentines Day Dance.  

I’m always hopeful about the Halftime show. I really enjoyed last year’s show where  Rihanna announced her pregnancy. It was an insane pop culture moment. When The Weeknd played in 2021, I didn’t know how much I’d like it since I’m not a superfan. Apart from the funny memes generated from that performance, it was an exciting setlist –The Weeknd is one of those artists where you know more songs of theirs than you think you do. I think it’ll be the same with Usher. 

The Super Bowl is a great time for all of us to come together and bond over a sport I just don’t understand – no matter how many times my aunt has tried to explain it to me. If nothing else, it’s worth it just for the food and the music!

XO,

Erin

Erin Delaney

Fairfield '24

Erin Delaney is a senior at Fairfield University, where she majors in English and History, with minors in Irish and Catholic Studies. She has a show on Fairfield University's radio station, WVOF, where she plays her favorite classic alternative and rock songs from the 60s-90s. She loves to read, drink iced coffee, write, and watch unhealthy amounts of Netflix. She is happy to be back writing for HerCampus.