Notorious RBG Now in the Smithsonian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery revealed a portrait of the women in the Supreme Court: Ruth Bader Ginsburg (a.k.a Notorious RBG), Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, and Sandra Day O’Connor, who was the first woman even named into the Supreme Court. The portrait by Nelson Shanks, is called “The Four Justices” and was commissioned by art collectors Ian and Annette Cumming, who are loaning the piece to the Smithsonian for three years.

Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery director Kim Sajet said,

“The scale of this painting speaks to the grand accomplishments made by these four women and the example they set for future generations…I imagine this portrait will spark a conversation among young people, particularly young women, about breaking barriers.” 

Originally from Boston, Caroline is a sophomore International Studies major and French minor at Fairfield University. She is a News Editor for Her Campus Fairfield as well as the Twitter Account Manager. When not hitting the books you can find her talking about cats and over posting on Instagram as @wiccancool.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.