absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Not Your Mother’s Hot Chocolate: 4 Hot Chocolate Recipe’s with a Twist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Its official: Juno is here and classes are cancelled; let the snow day festivities begin! Maybe your idea of a perfect snow day is playing in the snow with your roomies, or avoiding the freezing cold at all cost? Either way what is better than curling up with a delicious cup of hot chocolate? Here are four easy recipes for those who are so over the boring hot coco packets, but are still craving that warm, yummy cup of deliciousness.

Salted Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate

What girl doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate?! Now imagine that heavenly combo in a steamy cup….sounds like perfection to me!

Ingredients

¼ cup sugar

¼ cup cocoa

¼ cup water

3 cups milk

3-4 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter

½ cups semisweet chocolate chips

Dash of salt

Recipe

In a saucepan, add the sugar and cocoa and whisk in the water until smooth, then whisk in the milk over medium-high heat. Heat until steaming. Remove the pan from the heat and add the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Let sit for a few seconds, then blend with a hand-held immersion blender or whisk until frothy.  Finish with a touch of sea salt and some marshmallows.

Nutella Hot Chocolate

Nutella is a girl’s best friend. So why not try this fun recipe and you will feel like you are sipping on cloud 9.

Ingredients

Nutella

1 cup of Milk

Whip cream

Recipe

In a saucepan pour ¼ cup of milk and then add 2 spoonfuls of Nutella. Whisk together the mild and Nutella on medium-low heat until blended. Then slowly pour the remaining milk (3/4 cups) into the saucepan. Stir until it becomes hot and frothy. Finally serve and enjoy.

Orange Hot Chocolate

Add a little fruity touch to bump up the flavor of your typical hot coco recipe!

Ingredients

2 large navel oranges

4 cups 1% low-fat milk

3/4 cup sweet ground chocolate and cocoa

Whipped Cream

Recipe

Carefully remove rind from oranges using a vegetable peeler, making sure not to get any of the white pithy part of the rind. Combine orange rind and milk in a large saucepan, reserving orange pulp for another use. Bring milk mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes.

Strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, discarding orange rind. Return milk to pan. Stir in chocolate. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly

Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate

Be like the Spice Girls and “spice up your life” with this recipe that will warm you to the core.

Ingredients

4 cups milk

¼ cup cocoa powder

¼ cup sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. vanilla extract

¼ tsp. chipotle powder or chili powder

Pinch of nutmeg

Pinch of cayenne

Toppings: whip cream and chocolate sauce

Recipe

Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until simmering. Stirring frequently. Remove from heat and serve immediately

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.