Myla Dalbesio Breaks the Mold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Myla Dalbesio, the size ten, 27 year old standing at 5’11”, recently landed the Calvin Klein “Perfectly Fit” campaign. Myla is shown in the ad wearing a bra with her hair slicked back, exposing her striking, beautiful face. Calvin Klein features her as the first plus size model to represent their brand, but is she really plus size?

The standard plus size model is on an average a size 12 and since Myla is a size 10 she doesn’t quite fall into that category. In the world of plus size modeling Myla is “thin”, but in the standard modeling industry she is simply considered just “bigger”. In a recent interview with Elle magazine, Myla expressed her feelings toward this criticism.

She stated,  “I’m not the biggest girl on the market but I’m definitely bigger than all the girls [Calvin Klein] has ever worked with, so that is really intimidating” (Elle).

Instead of debating whether or not Myla is considered plus size, we should be applauding Calvin Klein. Not only did they choose Myla because she was beautiful, but they went against the norm. The company decided to break away from society’s generic perception of models.

In an industry that puts so much pressure on being thin and glorifying an body type that can be completely unrealistic, Calvin Klein decided to be different. Their powerful decision has the power to affect many women who believe that being a bigger size isn’t acceptable.

Despite what people may think, we say good for you Calvin Klein.  

Kristen is a sophomore at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in communications. She is a gym fanatic always on the latest workout trends but also loves to dress up when going out with friends or hitting the shops downtown.
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.