Motivational Monday: “To Live is the Rarest Thing in The World”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” –Oscar Wilde

In order to truly live, you have to do things you have never done. You have to get your heart stomped on and kicked across the room. You need to lose and find yourself over and over again. You have to get the wind knocked out of you in order to appreciate what it feels like to breathe. So take more risks because even if you fail, at least you’ll have a story to tell. 

When I came to college I promised myself to take every opportunity thrown my way. I promised that I would be a risk taker, and in my two years at Fairfield I have made incredible friends and built strong relationships. However I have also lost friends, people that I once thought would be in my life forever have become strangers. Since being here I have opened my heart to an incredible amount of people, and while I have been disappointed I have also been pleasantly surprised. Sometimes the people you don’t expect to be there when things get tough are actually the first ones at your side. Without the heartache and disappointment, you never learn to appreciate all the good things.

In the next two semesters, my friends and I will undergo our toughest challenge to date: studying abroad. We will be living in countries we have never even visited and will all be experiencing differnt things. It is going to be the time of our lives, however it will also be the first time living in a country other than the United States (for most of us). Those of us traveling to non-English speaking countries will even experience the challenges of the language barrier, but this is what life is about. After all, opportunities like this only come along once in a lifetime! 

I'm a senior Politics major with English and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies minors. My passions include reading, writing, and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. You can find me binge watching Netflix or loudly singing along to my newest music obsession.
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!