Millennials and Migraines: How to Deal

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Disclaimer: This article and its survey findings were made possible by Novartis Consumer Health, Inc., the makers of Excedrin® Migraine. Respondents of the survey were diagnosed migraine sufferers. See your doctor for diagnosis of migraines and migraine treatment options.

Between balancing a social life, schoolwork and extracurricular activities, as collegiettes, we don’t really have time to let anything slow us down—including migraines.

For those millennials that suffer from the condition the migraine struggle is real. So real that according to the Millennial Migraine Report commissioned by the makers of Excedrin® Migraine, 88 percent of millennials surveyed feel that only fellow sufferers understand what they are going through and 81 percent would like to have more open conversations about migraines.

As students we owe it to ourselves to understand that a migraine is not just a headache. If you know someone who suffers from migraines, don’t brush it off with statements like, “everybody gets headaches,” “it’s all in your head,” and “just get rid of your stress.” Seriously though, if anyone does know how to get rid of stress, please reveal the secret—inquiring collegiette minds would love to know.

Eliminating stress is much easier said than done, and only half of millennial migraine sufferers say they are trying to reduce their stress to better manage their migraines. Sixty-two percent say they make sure they get enough sleep. But is that even possible in college?

Since 85 percent of millennial migraine sufferers surveyed are looking for better ways to treat their migraines, we’re here to share some tips and information that may help you.

First, if you think you are suffering from migraines, the number one thing to do is contact your doctor, they can help you diagnose your migraine and best establish a treatment plan. They may even recommend using an over the counter medication.

Second, be sure to download the My Migraine Triggers™ app from the makers of Excedrin® Migraine. It’s easy to use— use it to track when, where and why your migraines happen, and you can print a log or share it with your doctor right from your iPhone. It’s free and available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

Along with treating migraines, it’s important to have more open and honest conversations about them. You are not alone if you are suffering, and you should talk to someone about it. Visit Excedrin.com/stories to learn more about the Millennial Migraine Report and for more information to manage migraines.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!