Meet Your New 2015-2016 FUSA President and Vice President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

For this week’s Campus Celebrity, Her Campus was fortunate enough to sit down with newly elected FUSA President, Anif McDonald ’16, and Vice President, Olivia Tourgee ’16. They duo dished out some advice, their expectations for next year, and a little something their fellow classmates might be surprised to learn about them. Curious? Read on to find out!

Name: Anif McDonald

Year: 2016

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Boston, MA 

Name: Olivia Tourgee

Year: 2016

Major: Political Science and History

Hometown: West Greenwich, RI 

Her Campus: Why did you join FUSA?

Anif McDonald: I joined FUSA because I was involved with student government in high school and I wanted to continue that when I got to college.

Olivia Tourgee: I chose to run freshman year because I really wanted to be involved in Fairfield. In high school, I was on student council, soccer, and a bunch of other clubs. I wanted to continue my involvement at Fairfield to improve student experience and grow as an individual. 

HC: What are you most looking forward to as FUSA Pres and VP 2015-2016?

AM: I’m really looking forward to working with a new executive board and making some new relationships. We’re losing a lot of seniors and I think it’s going to be fun to get to know the underclassmen better. I’m also looking forward to leading the school in the right direction and picking up where Alex Cucchi left off.

OT: I’m most looking forward to meeting more peers on campus and working with everyone to hear their ideas and concerns. I’m excited to work with FUSA, faculty, and students to improve campus.

HC: What’s the best advice you could give a student looking to get involved on campus?

AM: Be open to everything. You never know what might interest you unless you try to get involved. FUSA has a lot of different branches and a lot of students who are involved in many other clubs and organizations, and from there it can be a building block as to what you truly want to do.

OT: I would say to not be afraid to be involved with anything in which you show interest. Also, take advantage of your time here. Get involved early because it will make your Fairfield experience that much more enjoyable and fulfilling. 

HC: Anif, you’re a three time Her Campus Fairfield Campus Celebrity. Do either of you consider yourself a celeb on campus?

AM: I see myself as a regular student on campus. My responsibilities may be different but I have to take classes and do homework just like everyone else. I appreciate that I may be seen that way and I think it’s great that people view me in a good light. It allows me to keep my priorities straight and lead by example. I love to live a positive lifestyle and if others see that, I hope that it spreads throughout the campus. 

OT: I was very surprised by how much attention and recognition running for VP got me. So many people have been congratulating me even though I have no idea who they are. The other day at Starbucks the employees were congratulating me, and I had never met them before. I hope that I will be able to meet and form relationships with more people now. I think that it is definitely important to be visible on campus as a student representative so that people are able to approach me with their concerns. 

HC: What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

AM: My favorite juice is carrot juice and rugby is my favorite sport. I also did karate for four years and I love to rollerblade. Real weird.

OT: I’m on the equestrian team at Fairfield. Also, I don’t like peanut butter or bacon, and I can’t blink my right eye without closing my left… it’s the little things!

Karolina is a senior at Fairfield University with a major in Communications and a minor in Professional Writing. A newly appointed style editor this year, she has a passion for all things beauty and fashion. Follow her on instagram @kaphrodite!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.