Meet the Inspiring Shelby Iapoce ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Name: Shelby Iapoce

Year: Junior

Major: Accounting and Studio Art 

Her Campus: What exactly is the Wounded Warrior Project and who does it benefit?

Shelby Iapoce: WWP was formed after 9/11 to help honor and empower servicemen and women who were injured on or after these attacks. It mainly benefits veterans who are trying to acclimate themselves back into life here. Due to technological advancements, many veterans are physically protected from explosions, etc., so they may not show signs of the war, but PTSD is just as serious, if not more serious, than a physical injury because it goes unnoticed more often than not. 

HC: What inspired you to start it here at Fairfield?

SI: I ended up choosing WWP for a very simple reason. People younger than me are enlisting in the military, and there are people who are my age and a few years older who are veterans. I think at this age we don’t realize that there’s more to life than the parties we go to on the weekends, or the grades we get on tests or whatever it may be. Its inspiring to me that there are teenagers and young adults that enlist and know that life is bigger than themselves, and these are the people I want to support. 

HC: You’re clearly so passionate about this, do you think it has made a difference here at Fairfield and do you see it continuing? 

SI: I think it has made a difference here at Fairfield; I mean seeing people wear the apparel is a small aspect of it, but when people see the name they become aware. It seems as if people are really interested in all that we’ve done so far. As long as people stay tied to the cause after they graduate because of what we’ve done here, I’d consider that a success.  

HC: It’s so awesome that you just had your second Annual Face-Off For a Cause game this Saturday! How did that go? 

SI: It was actually unreal. From the first two years we’ve raised $35,000, and we’re still selling apparel and receiving donations. When I first thought of this idea the summer after my freshman year, I didn’t think it would be this successful.  And to be honest, I’m not sure if anyone else thought it would either. It took me about 3 months to get in contact with the right people from the organization, and they’ve been such a huge help.  

HC: It’s so awesome that you helped spearhead this project! How do you possibly handle this with school and lacrosse?

SI: I have had to make sacrifices and I definitely don’t have as much free time as others. But it is something I am passionate about and something I want to do, so at the end of the day it’s not actually a sacrifice. We’re all American, and it’s our duty to support those who protect our freedom!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.