London Calling: Mary’s Guide to Rainy Day Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Cheers my fellow stags! When studying abroad there are many things you must adjust to: the culture, the language, the people and especially the weather. Here in London, when the sun is shining you better enjoy it because of the rest of the semester is going to be rain, rain, and even more rain. Every girl knows that there is nothing worse then applying your makeup just in time to walk out the door into a rainstorm, and have your face melt off. Follow these tips below to ensure your makeup is ready to combat the dreary London weather:

Tip #1 – The sun isn’t shining, your face shouldn’t be

Face primer is the most important part of any makeup routine rain or shine. Especially when it is down pouring you want your makeup to stay in place. Try using the lightweight POREfessional face primer by Benefit. This primer is super silky while helping you keep your foundation or tinted moisturizer on while you are walking Abbey Road.

Tip #2- Waterproof lids and lashes

Choose a waterproof mascara and eyeliner on stormy days. This will ensure that your eye makeup will not be running down your face when you walk into class. Some cult favorites (and mine) include mascara like Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion Water Resistant Mascara, and eyeliner like Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eyeliner. Of course, there are an abundance of other options on the market, so you can do some research and find the perfect ones for you!

Tip #3 Make use of color

What better way to stand out on a dreary grey day then to add some color! Chose a duel purpose makeup product like Bobbi Brown’s Pot Rogue, which can be used on both your lips and cheeks. If you want to keep your makeup look simple this is the best product to buy, you can just swipe and go!

Tip #4- Opt for an Updo

Lastly, tackling your hairstyle on a rainy day. The best solution is to pull your hair up into a chic bun or into a slicked back pony. You avoid frizz while still looking super chic. Just because it is raining outside, your hair does not have to be an indicator of it.

*Also, do not forget your umbrella!! This has been a staple in my bag for the past few weeks! *

Cheers collegiettes!

Mary is a Fairfield University senior majoring in Communication with a minor in Marketing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Fairfield, which she has been apart of since the launch in February 2014. Things that Mary can't live without: Starbucks, Gilmore Girls (Team Jess all the way), Instagram, statement necklaces and her dog. She also has a real weakness for avocado toast. Make sure to follow her on Instagram, @marystamp   
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.