Lane Bryant Launches the “I’m No Angel” Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is aired on national television, most girls will put down their bowl of ice cream and sign themselves up for a gym membership instead.  They sit in front of their television screens in awe of these beautiful women strutting down the runway in lacey lingerie and wonder, “why don’t I look like that?”

Lane Bryant is a clothing store for plus sized women that advocates for positive body image and has plus sized models like Ashley Graham in many of its advertisements. The retailer has recently released ads with the slogan, “I’m No Angel,” taking a not so subtle jab at the popular lingerie store, Victoria’s Secret’s angel concept. Their CEO and President Linda Heasley said in an interview that, “We admire Victoria’s Secret – it’s an amazing brand,” and that in no way is Lane Bryant’s “I’m No Angel” campaign meant to attack the company.  Heasley explained, “…their notion of beauty is a little narrow,” and she is simply looking to broaden it.

According to DoSomething.org, “Approximately 91% of women are unhappy with their bodies…only 5% of women naturally possess the body type often portrayed by Americans in the media.”  Linda Heasley and her brand’s gorgeous models are working to lower this statistic and instill confidence in all women, while hopefully raising their self-esteem and redefining what it means to be an “angel.”

Around the globe, women are posting pictures of themselves photo-shop free with the hashtag #ImNoAngel to promote a positive body image.  However, the campaign has reached more than just women.  “The fact that men are coming up to us and saying, ‘My wife is going to love this, this is an amazing campaign’…” speaks volumes as to how far this body image battle has come (Today).

However, this is not to say that the angel’s bodies are wrong or that they should be shamed for looking the way that they do.  These campaigns are not out to attack anyone or the way that they look—rather they are meant to demonstrate that you aren’t supposed to look a particular way.  People aren’t supposed to look the same, we aren’t meant to all have one shape or all wear the same sized clothing.  To say that a model’s body is “unrealistic” is unfair.  It would be more legitimate to state that the photoshopped images of people on magazine covers and spreads are the ones that are unattainable.

Be critical of what you are being critical of.  That is, take notice if the model on the cover of your favorite magazine is heavily edited or if the picture is natural and not re-touched.  Idolizing a body type that only a computer can manipulate is ridiculously impractical.  

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.