Kanye West vs. Fern Mallis: Fashion Week Showdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Kanye West just can’t seem to keep himself out of the limelight.

After his most recent controversy drew in much public speculation and criticism, one would think he would attempt to stay out of the tabloids. But West is back in the spotlight with a vengeance.

West premiered his new clothing line at New York Fashion week for Adidas, titled “Yeezy Season 1”. Shockingly, the creator of Fashion Week herself, Fern Mallis, openly expressed her opinion and distaste on his new career path.

Fern Mallis told the New York Post, “I’m kind of over Kanye. I mean, I’m not a fan of his music, and the attitude and the agenda is not my style.”

In response to Millis’s negativity towards his creations, Kanye wrote a maturely worded letter via Twitter directed to Mallis.

He expressed how hard it is to achieve your dreams and make it in such a competitive environment.

West even invited Mallis to meet him for drinks to discuss the matter when he arrives back in NYC.

Mallis replied in a brief statement to The Post that she was not directly attacking West’s collection.

Despite the drama that Kanye has been involved in lately, it’s impressive how he handled this situation with such poise and maturity. Mallis probably should have thought more carefully before openly bashing an A-list celebrity who is attempting to branch off into a new field of creativity.

Moral of this story, it is important to support celebrities that want to try something new. 

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.