Jennifer Lopez Named UN Foundation First Global Advocate for Girls and Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

“If you don’t love yourself, you can’t love anybody else. And I think as women we really forget that.” These words of wisdom came from none other than one of our favorite women, Jennifer Lopez. Our girl J-Lo has always preached self-love, and has always been one to encourage women to never let anyone determine their worth. Recently, the world has been shown how amazing she truly is, having been appointed the Global Advocate for Girls and Women at the United Nations Foundation. She is the first person to hold this position, which is undoubtedly a huge feat.

With this new gig comes immense responsibility. She will now be in charge of advocating and addressing the needs of women all over the world, which includes supporting healthcare programs for mothers, making sure women all over the world get access to education/ health services, and helping stop violence that stems from gender bias.

As a single mother, Lopez is more than qualified for this position. She is the figurehead for strong, independent, females all over the world. She says, “becoming a mother has made me more aware of the struggles of women and children throughout the world.” In addition, Lopez was named one of the primary celebrity advocates for the charity Every Mother Counts, which aims to increase education and support for the health of children and mothers.

Lopez knows first hand about the struggles that young women and girls face today, many of which include body image issues, sexism, sexual assault, and in some countries, lack of education for women. Ultimately, we think Jennifer Lopez will make a fabulous addition to the UN. This is such a refreshing, progressive change that is much needed, and we look forward to seeing what Lopez will do!

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.