Instagram’s New Tool Can Help Those With Mental Health Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you saw one of your friends post concerning content on Instagram, what would you do? If you were fearful that they might harm themselves or others, would you report the post or message them separately? Or ignore it? Instagram has just released a new feature to its app this week that lets users anonymously flag a friend’s post about self-harm. When this happens, a message from Instagram pops up on the poster’s account including support and access to a help line.

The user will receive a message that says, “Someone saw one of your posts and thinks you might be going through a difficult time. If you need support, we’d like to help.” Then, there will be a list of options that can be accessed on the app: talking to a friend, contacting a helpline, and getting tips and support.

Instagram worked with companies such as the National Eating Disorders Association, Save.org, and The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in order to create the support system.

Facebook also launched an identical tool last year for Facebook users to provide support and resources to those struggling with suicidal thoughts.

Instagram is also partnering with Seventeen Magazine to launch a National Body Confidence Day campaign called #PerfectlyMe. The hashtag will feature both young men and women who are showing their self confidence. The campaign according to Seventeen, hopes to celebrate strength “of those individuals in communities who are redefining beauty standards and building a culture of positivity.”

This feature to the app will truly change how people go about talking to their friend or family member who is suffering from a mental health problem. The anonymity of the reporting will hopefully rid of any hesitation from someone concerned about his or her peers. Personally, I’ve never been put in this situation on Instagram, but I think it could be a beneficial feature in the long run and would use it if necessary.

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.