I’m Not Studying Abroad, And That’s Okay.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Being home for winter break this past month, every adult that I encountered asked about my plans to study abroad. Every time that I confessed I wasn’t going to spend a semester away, a mixture of shock and disgust were the typical reactions. It seems that every surrounding student travels to Italy or England or Australia to spend a semester studying overseas. While an amazing opportunity, the trend isn’t one for everybody, and that’s perfectly normal.

1. It saves money

Even though, oftentimes, tuition is cheaper while abroad, there are many added costs of living in a different country including food, alcohol, and travelling.

2. A whole semester is a longgg time.

Spending four months overseas isn’t for everyone. If that time duration sounds daunting, look into your school’s summer and winter break programs.

3. You might have to sacrifice commitments.

Many students also hold part time jobs while they go to school. Going away for an extended period of time can force you to give up a job, or any other long-term commitment.

4. Sometimes traveling without an agenda is better.

Being able to freely explore a new country without taking any classes can be a better fit for some people.

5. Waiting until you’re older to see the world isn’t the worst idea.

If you can find a time of your life where you’re more financially responsible, it might be easier and more fulfilling to travel at a later age.

6. Language barriers can prove to be difficult.

7. The world will always be out there to explore, college is only for 4 years.

Whether you decide to study abroad or stay at school to get your degree, be sure to make the most out of every situation and opportunity. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for the decisions that you make.

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.