I Dressed Up for Class for the Week and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

One important thing to know about me is that I went to an all girl’s private catholic high school. For those of you who didn’t go to catholic school, this basically means that for four years, I rolled out of bed fifteen minutes before I was supposed to leave and threw on my uniform. I never wore makeup, I always knew what I was going to wear, and my hair was perpetually in a messy bun. Some things have changed since college, but not that much. I still roll out of bed fifteen minutes before I have to leave, and I pretty much never wear makeup to class. Now, my new ‘uniform’ consists of leggings and a steady rotation of the few shirts I have that I actually like. Though sometimes I would switch it up a little and wear my hair down, in a braid, or ponytail. To step outside of my comfort zone I decided to dress up for class for a week – and it was going to be a ~serious~ challenge.

Day 1: Monday

I was worried that it was going to take me much longer than normal to get ready, so I woke up a little earlier than usual. I showered, blow-dried my hair, and put on makeup. I wore a skirt, riding boots, a t-shirt, a sweater, some jewelry (which I always forget I own) and my winter coat. It did take me a bit longer to get ready and I hate blow-drying my hair, but it looked so much nicer. It was weird to be dressed up, and because I usually don’t dress up for class, people noticed. I had this strange experience of being very confident yet self-conscious at the same time. I felt good, looked good, and got some compliments. But, I was worried people were judging me for dressing up just to go to class. It didn’t help that people kept asking: “Where are you going today?” and “What’s the occasion? You look so nice today!?”

Day 2: Tuesday

I kind of cheated…Well, I just wore leggings. But I paired them with a nice blouse and my riding boots. Having done my makeup, accessorizing with jewelry, and blow-drying my hair also made me look  put together. People still asked me, “What are you dressed-up for?” and “Did you give a presentation today?” but I was less self-conscious about it, thanks to the comfort of my leggings.

Day 3: Wednesday

Day 3 pretty much went the same as days one and two. I decided to go back to wearing a skirt. Thankfully, it was a bit warmer out so I felt less like a try-hard. I was, however, starting to overestimate my ability to get completely dressed up in a short amount of time. I had to practically run out the door to make it to class on time. Regardless of my time management, I was beginning to feel more comfortable dressing up for class. I felt less self-conscious and more confident.

Day 4: Wednesday

I admit, I wore leggings again. But I wore them with a nice blouse and boots like I did on Tuesday. I’ve been pretty good about keeping up with my make-up and hair routine, though. I’ve also decided I really like how I look with earrings, and that I should wear them more often. The only problem I have is that I haven’t been leaving enough time for makeup in the morning so I have to apply it quickly and dash out the door so I can make it to class on time.

Day 5: Friday

I kicked it up a notch for the last day and went with a dress, but made it more casual with a scarf and layering a denim shirt over it. Strangely enough I felt totally comfortable, but also very put together. I was almost late for class again because I grossly underestimated how long it would take for me to blow-dry my hair and put on makeup. You would think by day five I would have learned how to manage my time in the morning!

I really did enjoy dressing up for class this week. I think if I dressed up for class more often, I would get less people asking me why I’m dressed up. From now on I will make an effort to wear nicer shirts when I wear my leggings because it’s an easy way to look put together yet still be comfortable. Wearing makeup was a change for me this week, but it increased my confidence. I didn’t have to worry that people were staring at my latest break-out because I took the time in the morning to actually do my make-up routine. I don’t know if I will continue to wear makeup every day because my skin is very sensitive and prone to break-outs. However, if there are ever times when I need a quick confidence-boost, a little foundation can go a long way.

Even though I won’t be dressing up for class every day, this week made me realize that I should try dressing up for class at least a couple times a week. Dressing up for class made me feel and look good. So unless it’s a Monday morning, start looking for me dressed up for class every once and awhile!

Molly Concannon

Fairfield '20

Molly Concannon is a Jersey girl through and through. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in Finance and Public Relations. This is her fourth year on the Her Campus team! She is also slightly obsessed with libraries, reading, and Disney movies, and she definitely will try to pet any dogs she sees.
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com