Career > Work

HOW TO JUMP-START YOUR CAREER IN COLLEGE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Networking while being a student? Jumpstart your career now!

While in school, it may feel like your career is far away, but in reality, preparing for your career starts as soon as you set foot on campus! Her Campus Fairfield has compiled a quick list of ways for you to jump-start your career and how to network while in college. 

Go to Office Hours

Sometimes, professors can have over one hundred students per semester, and since you only have that class twice a week, it truly limits your connection with the professor. It is easy for the professor to not even know your name or you personally, despite you doing stellar work for the class. During office hours, your professor will learn your name, acknowledge your amazing work, and be more inclined to write you a letter of recommendation. A well-written letter of recommendation can help you secure an internship or even a job in your desired field by putting you ahead of your competition. 

Attend Special Events

Sometimes, events hosted by the university can feel burdensome to attend. They are usually at the end of a long day and can feel like just another thing to do. However, by not attending you are missing out on a prime networking opportunity. Introducing yourself to a professor or person in your field can get your foot in the door for many different opportunities. Professors often will be excited to share their knowledge with you and provide you with people to contact and positions to apply for. Simply introducing yourself, and making a good first impression can open doors to many opportunities for you.

Speak with your peers!

It can be easy to only want to talk to your friends while in college, but being open and willing to have conversations with your classmates can go a long way. Talking to other people who are interested in your field can help you learn new information about events, professors, internships, and more. Also, it never hurts to have someone you know from college as a reference, to put in a good word for you in the future!

In summary, while in college, networking and your career can feel like the last thing on your mind, it is still worth thinking about. Doing these things in college can really give you a leg up in jump-starting your career!

Kara Eckert

Fairfield '26

Kara Eckert is a writer and editor for the Careers and Networking section at the Fairfield University chapter. She writes about ways to kick start your career while attending college and about opportunities for networking around campus. She is dedicated to helping Fairfield students learn about new strategies and opportunities for building a fulfilling career. Kara is a double major in International Studies and Spanish and has a minor in Humanitarian Action. She takes lots of course work that involves writing and editing- which is why she loves Her Campus! Outside of Fairfield, Kara loves skiing and hiking and you can find her in the mountains during breaks from school. She also loves a day trip into New York City to explore the museums. Most notably though, Kara loves shopping!