How to Navigate Hooking Up In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

We all go through it at least once in college: dealing with the guy that doesn’t know how to take the next step after several nights of hanging out and sleepovers.

When it comes to hooking up with someone in college, it’s hard not getting attached even when we try to avoid it at all costs. At a small college like ours, it’s that much harder to keep your hookup a secret and avoid feelings. Naturally the question on every girls mind is this: What do we do when we want more, but he doesn’t initiate the next step?

A lot of us come to college hoping we’re going to meet our future boyfriend and although we might, don’t rush into it. Don’t tie yourself down to one person just for the sake of it; college is your time to find out who you are and what you want in life. Commitment is a big deal and you need to be happy with yourself, and that person before you settle down.

To our generation, hooking up and dating are two completely different concepts. Hooking up often means no strings attached, or something casual. If you’re in this situation be sure to respect yourself.

Let’s say you’ve been hooking up with the same guy since the start of your freshman year and you are now a sophomore, should you consider entering into a relationship? Maybe, but not necessarily. You’re in control just as much as he is, if you’re not ready for a relationship than keep hooking up. But, if you want something more and you don’t see it happening anytime soon than maybe it’s time to walk away; you don’t want to regret wasting two years waiting for him.

No matter what the situation, do what makes you happy.  Go out with your girl friends and socialize with other guys, you shouldn’t put your life on hold for anyone.

Hooking up has become apart of our generation’s culture. You’re in as much control as the person you’re hooking up with, and if you want something more, speak up. If he wants something from it, then make it happen; if he gets afraid or runs away, don’t be afraid to move on.

Hi Loves! My names Audriana currently studying Marketing and Journalism at Fairfield University. I'm a Philly girl with a bubbly personality. I love anything Pink! Style icons: Blair Waldorf and Serena Van der Woodsen.  New York City, Iced Tea and Gossip Girl addict. Fell in love with London and traveling while abroad my fall junior semester. Follow my beauty/fashion blog www.beyondyourblowout.com and on instagram  @audrossano
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.