How to Keep Up with Current Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Prior to about age 17, the Kardashian sisters were the only “current event” that teens kept up with. However, with age comes the responsibility of knowing what’s going on around the world.

It’s important to be aware of the current events, especially as we quickly become young professionals. Regardless of what path you are taking, everyone can benefit from being aware of what’s going on in your local neighborhood or around the world.For many, checking your Instagram feed is as close as we get to “current events”. With so many ways to stay updated on what’s going on, there’s no excuse not to be informed.

One way to do so is by subscribing to theSkimm. This subscription provides you with an email every morning that summarizes major events going on in the world. It’s an easy read (hence the word skim), which gives you the basics of what’s been going on while you were sleeping. It’s perfect to look through on your way to class or while checking all your other social media in the morning.

Also, there are tons of news apps that usually have options to send you alerts of major breaking news. Or take advantage of the new iPhone update, which has a great news app that provides countless articles ranging from food to politics.

Personally, I like to keep a bunch of my favorite news sites and blogs in a folder online, that way when I’m online I can easily access them. It has become part of my routine when I find myself browsing the Internet for hours.

Whichever way you chose, try to get into this habit of knowing what’s going on in the world. You’ll be surprised how good it feels when a professor is talking about something and you can contribute to the conversation. Be a part of a larger conversation and have an opinion of the important issues the world faces.

Megan is a Fairfield University freshman majoring in international business.  She has a love for all things fashion. Born on Long Island, but a NYC wannabe. 
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.