Gap Holiday 2014 x Devonte Hynes: New Ideas in Advertising

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Gap has just released a new and unconventional winter campaign to get customers excited for the upcoming holiday season. The campaign is called “Play Your Stripes”, GapX. On Gap’s website, customers can enjoy the music video by British singer Dev Hynes, also known as Blood Orange, and watch him dance and sing while, “playing the stripes,” on his black and white striped tee.

The holiday campaign is highly interactive because customers can make their own music video and play the striped game themselves. The game on GapGiftGuide.com requires users to wear striped apparel and turn on the webcam on a laptop. By tapping the stripes on your own apparel, the stripes will make different instrument sounds, mimicking Dev’s music video. The retailer then allows users to share their music videos on social networking sites.

The GapX line includes pieces from Kate Spade and JACK SPADE, like wallets, messenger bags, and even jeans. Gap Holiday 2014 includes warm colorful sweaters, like the one pictured below, leggings, and athletic wear. 

Gap engages their audience, with sights, sounds, and feel. It has us talking! Check it out

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.