The Fairfield University Blood Drive and Why You Should Donate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fairfield University will be hosting the American Red Cross for a blood drive next week in the BCC Oakroom! It’s being held from 11 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, November 6th and 7th.

Sign-up tables for the blood drive will be outside of Einstein’s on November 2nd and 3rd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The American Red Cross and other organizations are always in short supply of blood, and a donation from even one person can be enough to help up to three others!

For those of you nervous about the donation process – don’t be! It’s quick and easy. The Red Cross volunteers do their best to make sure you’re comfortable. The donation process itself is an easy four-step process: registration, medical history and mini-physical, the donation, and then refreshments to keep your day moving. The donation itself takes only 10-12 minutes, but the overall process takes just over an hour, which you can dramatically cut down by filling out a “RapidPass” prior to the donation.

If you want to donate here are some key things you should know:

-Bring your driver’s license or two other forms of identification with you to your donation. You may also want to bring a list of any medications you are taking.

-In most states, donors must be age 17 or older. Some states allow donations by 16-year-olds with a signed parental consent form.

-Donors must weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health.

Given the recent tragedy in Las Vegas and the devastation caused by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, blood needed for transfusions is in extremley high demand. Additionally, with the University’s Jesuit value of “Men and Women for and with others,” this would be a great opportunity for students to step up and do something to help those in need.

While all blood types are needed, the type always in demand is O negative. This is because it can be given to people with any blood type. But unfortunately, it is in the lowest supply.

Donating blood can be such a rewarding experience and the American Red Cross makes it so easy. There’s really no reason not to! So if you have an hour to spare, head over to the BCC next week and give some blood. An hour of your time could end up saving someone’s life!

Makeup and bird fanatic. Her hobbies include painting, sleeping, eating, and binge-watching Netflix. Has a great sense of humor and loves animals.
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com