Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Everything You Need To Know About Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Many have argued that long-distance relationships never work.  Long-distance relationships can be tough, but they do have surprises that come with them. To keep you and your significant other’s love strong, follow these tips. We guarantee you two will be able to make your relationship work.

One of the most important things to remember when entering a long-distance relationship is to not talk, text, or FaceTime with your partner for an excessive amount of time. While it may feel like texting and FaceTime is the only thing you two have, do not spend 12+ hours a day communicating.  Don’t feel as though you need to compensate for the distance.  Spamming your partner is not necessary when in a long-distance relationship!

Keep in mind that time apart from each other can be a good thing. If you see a future with your partner where you would eventually live together, you first need to learn how to live apart. This time and distance spent apart can always be a test for the love you two share. If you are able to make it through a long-distance relationship, that is almost a definite guarantee you two can make it through anything together. 

While it may feel like you and your partner cannot do anything with each other, there are still some fun activities you can do as couples. Watch a movie together! Zoom has become so popular and allows you to share your screen with the other participants on the call. This is great as it allows you and your partner to have those fun movie nights still! 

There is no doubt that long-distance relationships do come with their difficulties. Try not to focus so much attention on these difficulties, as it will only bring you down. The longer you two are apart, the more fun and exciting it will be the next time you two are reunited.  HCXO!

Catherine Howley

Fairfield '22

Catherine is a senior Communication major at Fairfield University. In addition to majoring in Communication, she is also minoring in Education, Marketing, & Public Relations. Catherine has always had a love and passion for writing about women's fashion, lifestyle, and beauty. Upon graduating from Fairfield University, she hopes to continue, and further, her love of writing through working in the PR industry.