Everything You Need to Know About the Collapse of E!’s Fashion Police

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

E! Network’s show Fashion Police- every collegiette’s favorite way to stay updated on fashion in Hollywood- has recently been making headlines. Issues began when Giuliana Rancic, one of the show’s original hosts, made derogatory and racist comments towards singer Zendaya’s red carpet hair choice. The star had gorgeous dreadlocks, but Rancic said they “smelled like patchouli oil” and “weed” (NY Times). Rancic was heavily criticized for her comments and publicly apologized to Zendaya. The young starlet handled the situation maturely and graciously accepted Rancic’s apology.

Rancic’s careless remarks are believed to have spurred Kelly Osbourne to announce she would not be returning to the show for another season. After the red carpet incident, Osbourne took to Twitter to defend herself, denying that she had anything to do with the comment and claiming that Zendaya is a friend. She made it clear that she in no way approved of Rancic’s comments, causing drama to spark.

Kathy Griffin, who filled a hosting position after Joan Rivers’ tragic death, followed Osbourne’s lead and left the show after only seven episodes. Osbourne offered the comedian her full support in the decision to leave. Some speculate that the show went downhill ever since Rivers’ passing in September.

E! Network originally planned to move forward with the two remaining hosts, Giuliana Rancic and Brad Goreski and producer Melissa Rivers, but a more recent statement from a network representative claims that the show will be on hiatus until September. Fashion Police will not tape the three remaining episodes in this season, but will air seven episodes surrounding events like the Emmy’s upon it’s return.

Joan Rivers brought a unique energy to the show, and many believe that her loss contributed to Fashion Police’s downfall (Fox). In a statement following her departure from the show, Kathy Griffin admitted that her “style does not fit with the creative direction of the show” (Fox). Even with the hiatus to recuperate and reorganize, questions remain as to whether or not the show can recover from its current collapse. 

Originally from Boston, Caroline is a sophomore International Studies major and French minor at Fairfield University. She is a News Editor for Her Campus Fairfield as well as the Twitter Account Manager. When not hitting the books you can find her talking about cats and over posting on Instagram as @wiccancool.
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.