Everything We Need to Know about Selena’s ~New Music~ That Just Dropped!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Ladies, it’s been a while since our #fav childhood star ~Selena Gomez~ popped up on our Spotify and Apple Music profiles, but she is back better than ever, and we couldn’t be more excited! With catchy beats and unforgettable lyrics from her hit throwbacks like “Come and Get It” and “Same Old Love,” we were curious if Selena could live up to our nostalgic expectations with her music.  

If you haven’t had the chance to listen to Selena’s music, she didn’t come out with 1 single, but 2. If you’re looking to add a song to your sad playlist Selena’s “Lose You to Love Me” is definitely a must. However, if you are looking for a hype-up song for you and your girls, “Look at Her Now” is your best bet. While both songs contain different vibes, they are the perfect singles to listen to after a heartbreak or the end of a relationship.  

We’re absolutely ~loving~ this new music that Selena is putting out; however, critics say there is so much more to the lyrics that we’re singing over and over. Where is this self-loving and upgraded Selena coming from? From displaying her pain and need to self-love in “Lose You to Love Me” to self hype in “Look at Her Now,” the lyrics throughout both songs point to another one of our favorite childhood artists – Justin Bieber.

Selenators are taking this Bieber controversy to Twitter, picking out specific lyrics that point to faults in their seemingly toxic relationship. These fans aren’t tweeting without receiving backlash from Beliebers because let’s be real; they never back down when Selena’s music is targeting Justin Bieber. Whenever we put on Selena now, we are asking ourselves: is she being vulnerable or using Jelena for ~clout~? The mystery between Team Justin and Team Selena will live on through these new hits, and we are wondering what drama or music will come out next.     

Rumor has it that Selena’s new album is finished and will be released soon, and a tour may be in the works! Keep on the lookout for what our girl Selena hits us with next! HCXO! 

Olivia Mahoney

Fairfield '23

Olivia is from Massachusetts and a marketing and management major at Fairfield University. She is the Relationship & Dating Editor for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter and also participates as a Writer.
Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.