Emotional Stages of Having a Turbo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Ahh, turbos. Fairfield’s code name for a once-a-week, 2 and a half-hour long class. Whether you have to take the class for your major or it is just an easy course to fulfill a core requirement, chances are you will have at least one turbo throughout your four years in college. Most people cannot sit still in a room with one teacher for 2 and a half straight hours, so clearly turbos can get emotional.

Stage 1: This is a great idea! During class registration, you decide that a once a week 2 and a half hour long isn’t so bad. At least you will get it over with and not have to worry about it for another week!

Stage 2: What did I get myself into…? Not only is the class 2 and a half hours long, but now you found out you can’t use laptops, the teacher is boring, and the subject material is tougher than you thought…Some regret starts to kick in, but you usually forget about it for the rest of the week.

Stage 3: I hate this class, why did I do this to myself?A new week comes around and every time you think, “how bad could skipping a turbo actually be?”

Stage 4: Torn. Okay so you don’t ~love~ sitting in class forever, but you also don’t love going to class 2-3 days a week…A turbo has upsides and downsides. You might be in class through lunchtime or dinnertime, although there is always hope you will get let out early. 

Stage 5: They aren’t SO bad… Although you suffered through the boring lectures, did the longest group presentation ever, and ate meals at the strangest times, you decide turbos really aren’t that bad. As a matter of fact, you’ll probably sign up for another one next semester…not because you have to take it or anything…

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.