christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Emotional Roller Coaster of Receiving the Unfollow on Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Every collegiette can relate to that dreaded moment when you check Instagram and see there is one less follower. Many thoughts rush through your mind of who it could possibly be. Was it some random girl from high school? Maybe it was one of those random spam accounts? Hopefully not that hot guy from accounting! Although it may be a tad embarrassing, everyone at some point has been on the receiving end of the unfollow, and it is an emotional roller coaster ride. Do not let it get you down collegiettes because you’re flawless and it is their loss!

1. The Discovery

Everything is good and great all day until you go to check Instagram and discover that there has been a change on your follower to following ratio. Someone has unfollowed you… HOW. DARE. THEY.

2. Denial

Maybe no one actually unfollowed me, maybe they just deleted their Instagram. That makes way more sense

3. Checking the Unfollower App

Although every collegiette likes to say they are above social media, everyone at some point has checked to see who unfollowed them using an app. Although it may be painful, it is necessary. How dare Chelsea from Calculus unfollow me. She was a generous liker too!

4.  Insecurities Surface 

Why did she unfollow me? Was it because I posted two pictures this weekend? Does she not think I am artsy enough, because I totally am! Does she simply not like me? So many questions and I need answers and I needed them a follower ago.

5. Anger 

I’m pissed. Revenge needs to happen, she is going to get the unfollow back. That will show her. I don’t need to see yet another picture of her fancy lunch anyway. Bye Felicia.

6. Acceptance

You know what, I am flawless and if you want to unfollow me go right ahead, I won’t stand in your way. Now, how am I going to get a new follower…

English major with a concentration in journalism
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.