The Do’s and Don’ts of Navigating the Fall Activities Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s that time of year again, collegiettes! The Fall Activities Fair is fast approaching and it’s time for you to sign up for your favorite club, maybe try out a new team and definitely get your hands on some awesome free swag! If this is your first year checking out the Activities Fair or you’re looking for advice on how to navigate it a little better this year we are here to help! Check out our easy tips below!

DO: Sign up for something you’ve always done.

Whether you danced in high school, were a part of the debate team or really love to ski, don’t let those passions end in college! Continue doing what you love by signing up for a club here at Fairfield!

DO: Sign up for something that intrigues you.

Do you want to help crush cancer? Looking to join a club related to your major? Are you interested in gaining experience in a leadership position? Whatever it is, if you have a possible interest in something, don’t be afraid to seize the opportunity! College is a chance to start a new chapter! And besides, maybe that table you were thinking about stopping by has some awesome free goodies!

DON’T:  Sign up for everything

But on the same note, don’t add yourself to every e-mail list at the fair. Who likes flooding their inbox? You can always ask to be removed from their email lists…but don’t spam yourself!

DO: Be mindful of your schedule

Whatever year you may be scheduling your time can be tough! Be mindful of this when you commit to a group. Don’t stress yourself out by committing to too many things. It’s okay if you can’t fit it all in—we know that you’re not Superwoman!

DO: Look into a service opportunity

Part of attending a Jesuit university is being men and women for others. Stop by the PAWS table or talk to the people who run the service trip to Jamaica. You get to be a part of an amazing cause and still have tons of fun! Totally collegiette approved!

DON’T: Get discouraged if you don’t find what you are looking for

While Fairfield does offer a bunch of activities to join, maybe you haven’t found your niche yet. That’s okay! Think about starting your own club and create your own place at Fairfield!

DO: Stop by the Her Campus Fairfield table!

We couldn’t forget this little tip! HC Fairfield is always looking for new members whether it’s writers, people to work for our events team or photographers! Make sure to stop by and hear what we’re all about and maybe leave with some cool giveaways! HCXO

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.