The Do’s and Don’ts of Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Do NOT procrastinateEasier said then done, but trust me. You do not want to wait until the last minute to cram the night before a final. The night before a test, you do not want to panic. This is the time to review all of the material and go to bed early.

DO manage your timeWrite out all the dates and times of when your finals are. Once you see it all laid out in front of you, you can plan accordingly when to study for what. Also, you can study one subject for an hour and then change to a different subject, so you are switching things up. Also, staying organized will help cut down on procrastination and your workload will seem more manageable!

Do NOT multitask when studyingThis may seem like an obvious don’t, but every collegiette is guilty of texting, checking social media, and Facebook stalking in the midst of studying. Download the app Self Control, which blocks certain websites for a time limit that you set. This will give you no choice but to focus on studying rather than browsing your twitter feed. Also, studying while doing something else makes it less effective, so make sure that the hours you spend in the library count!

DO use study groupsAsk a couple students from your class to get together to study! Make sure to utilize and reserve a library room, so you take full advantage of your time together. Studying in a group will help you gain a better understanding of the material and will clarify areas of confusion. 

Do NOT study for hours on endThis may sounds silly but take breaks! You may feel guilty taking a Netflix break, but do it. Taking regular breaks can boost productivity and you will be more focused after your break.

DO get a good night’s sleep!A tired mind is a slow mind, so catch some sleep the night before your big exam!

Mary is a Fairfield University senior majoring in Communication with a minor in Marketing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Fairfield, which she has been apart of since the launch in February 2014. Things that Mary can't live without: Starbucks, Gilmore Girls (Team Jess all the way), Instagram, statement necklaces and her dog. She also has a real weakness for avocado toast. Make sure to follow her on Instagram, @marystamp   
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!